Thursday, January 27, 2011

Cycle One Post


What is curriculum? What is its purpose?

This is an interesting time to discuss curriculum and its meaning. My school district and many/all school districts in Michigan are looking at aligning their current curriculum with the Common Core Standards that have been adopted by many states, Michigan included. I think that for school districts it’s difficult to discuss the Common Core Standards without thinking about the curriculums that the district has in place or the curriculums that may need to be replaced as a result of redefining the standards and expectations for each grade level.

A simple definition of curriculum would be the methods and techniques we use to get students from point A to point B. Methods and techniques are part of curriculum but a larger, more important aspect of curriculum is content. What should I teach? Why should I teach it? How should I teach it? And when should I teach it? Every state, school district, etc. has goals for what the students will learn at key stages in their education, I see curriculum as a tool to help students meet those milestones. One district might use EveryDay Mathematics to get their students to master the grade level math objectives while another district might opt to use Math Trailblazers. I think that curriculum guides educators in how to teach and scaffold skills for students.  

However, that’s just a simple definition for a very simple concept, basic curriculum. Curriculum becomes harder to define when you consider things like implied curriculum, intended curriculum, excluded curriculum, etc. Although I do think that it is important to consider and reflect on the lessons that we are teaching our students with the supported curriculum, I think it’s equally, if not more, important to think about the lessons we are teaching our students based off of the excluded curriculum or the hidden curriculum that we may be teaching unintentionally.  

Although I teach in a general education classroom, I have a number of students in my classroom that have identified special needs, including one student with autism.
For me, any discussion of curriculum leads me to think about that student and several others. The answers to the questions I posed above change when I consider my autistic student or my other students who are cognitively impaired, otherwise health impaired, or even speech and language impaired.  The Donovan article this week reinforced those thoughts and feelings for me. What was most striking for me with regard to the Donovan article was my sense that the article was not only exposing the world of educating individuals with multiple impairments but asking questions like, What should we teach these students? How can we measure mastery? Should we involve families as we develop not only IEPs but also curriculum?  Although I think it would be fantastic to have parents involved in curriculum decisions for their child or children, my classroom experience leads me the other direction. How can we involve parents and families in those decisions and still meet the needs of all students? The Donovan article demonstrated quite clearly that one parent might feel that their child would benefit from a more “academic” curriculum while another parent might feel a more “functional” curriculum would be the best use of time for their child.

If we extend the discussion to general education students who are “typically developing,” the question remains difficult to answer. Is it possible to involve parents in meaningful ways when some parents think a product-based classroom is more important than a classroom that attempts to create more authentic learning opportunities? As a classroom teacher, I also ask myself how do we hold teachers accountable to curriculum when it may look different for every student in the classroom. I think that teachers already struggle to learn and adapt their curriculums as necessary based on who their students are as learners. If you add parents to the mix of students, administrators, state guidelines, and more, I think that teachers will feel even more overwhelmed.

In the end, as a first grade teacher I am acutely aware that children learn just as much, if not more, by watching and observing those around them.  Children also make connections and inferences based on what they observe or fail to observe. For these reasons I think that it is imperative that educators think about what curriculum they are teaching both intentionally and unintentionally. If I tell my students I am really excited about a certain book, math concept, or topic they too become excited. Conversely, if I tell my students that I think a certain book, topic, or concept is irrelevant or unimportant; they will put little stock into it. What I am trying to say is that as educators we teach our students many things outside of the prescribed curriculum. I personally think that many of these lessons are good lessons however; I do think there are some lessons that we teach unintentionally that cause our children to leave our classrooms with false notions, stereotypes, misinformation, and perhaps most devastatingly a lesser sense of self-worth.  So needless to say, having a discussion about what curriculum is and who should be involved in developing curriculum for students is important and will continue to be important in the future, regardless of government mandates and Common Core Standards.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Karla,

    I really enjoyed reading your blog post. From a high school teacher, it is interesting to hear your perspective as a first grade teacher in an elementary school setting. Your points were especially interesting due to the fact that you work with a range of students with special needs, such as autistic, cognitively impaired, speech/language impaired, and emotionally impaired. So far in my career, I haven’t had too much exposure to these learners, and I find it impressive that you could really make a connection with Donovan, his family, and his teachers.

    Despite the differences between elementary and secondary education, I feel that we are often up against the same challenges. I agree with you that there is an important link between families and curriculum planning, and it is often difficult to decide whose perspective we should take. I really like the link that you posted about “catching up with the curriculum”. This is an element that I did not explore in my first post, and I think that it is definitely an important one. I feel a lot of pressure in my school to keep up with the other teachers and treat curriculum as if it was a race. The truth is, no matter your style or technique, all teachers face the same tough situations: pacing, making the curriculum interesting and authentic, taking time for field trips, planning time for review.

    It was really helpful to see that there are other people who struggle with the same issues as myself. I liked the message that even though this can be difficult, students need to be prepared for the next level of whatever subject matter you are teaching, whether it is math, reading, or French. One of my many goals for this year is to seek more help with planning- I need to realize that I can’t do it all on my own and constantly re-invent the wheel. Also, I like how the article discusses the concept of depth over breadth- this is so important regardless of the grade level or subject matter.

    The second great point that I thought you made deals with implicit curriculum and the null curriculum. I agree with you that these aspects of the school day can be just as, if not more, important than the material that we are planning to explicitly teach. I liked how you added that this is sometimes positive, however, sometimes lessons “unintentionally cause our children to leave our classrooms with false notions, stereotypes, misinformation, and perhaps most devastatingly a lesser sense of self-worth.” This was a really powerful statement and urges us to rethink the notion of curriculum. It certainly proves that curriculum planning should extend far beyond the text, the supplemental materials, and the standards. The influences on curriculum should be varied and balanced in order to be most effective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. (this is the second part of my comment, do to it being a bit long)

    I am changing my thinking slowly, from believing explicit curriculum is what we teach, to understanding that the implicit curriculum that surrounds us and our actions is just as or more important than the content of our lessons, assignments, homework and tests. For example, what do I teach my students about humility and respect, by the ways I accept or return paperwork? Do I teach students how to think critically, by modeling my thought processes when reading science news?

    I will quote Lauren quoting Karla: "I liked how you added that this is sometimes positive, however, sometimes lessons “unintentionally cause our children to leave our classrooms with false notions, stereotypes, misinformation, and perhaps most devastatingly a lesser sense of self-worth". This is a great insight. In my class, I want students to be keyed in to news relating to Science; when NASA announces plans to conduct science around our solar system, or even when a Biotech company announces a drug that treats some genetic disorder we have discussed. But a lot of times in Science, material has to be simplified, and sometimes the message is lost in the anecdotes, mnemonics, and personal stories that help the material to be digested. Do you guys have any tips about how I should approach this?

    Thank you Karla for your good post. And thank you Lauren for helping me to form my own thoughts as a reflection to Karla's post.

    -Josh

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karla, thank you for a great post. The first half of my comment was lost when I copy-pasted the second part to post it here. Essentially, I wrote that I liked how you were thinking about curriculum most simply as how we get from point A to point B. You point out that it is not such a simple question: "What should I teach? Why should I teach it? How should I teach it? And when should I teach it?"

    Especially as a young teacher, these questions are foremost in my mind. Every teacher addresses these questions in their own way, but for me I am constantly wondering how much "free reign" I have in my classes. Is it acceptable for me to go outside to the courtyard to help students identify trees? Is it a benefit to students for me to keep us abreast on science news? If these do not connect to the Standard Course of Study, and isn't tested on the End of Course Exam, will it benefit them directly in this class? Your post helped me realize that curriculum is a map, not a set-in-stone path.

    When we add the implicit curriculum into the mix, questions about curriculum expand quite a lot. This is about where my latter comment picked up ... (see above)!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Karla,

    It was great to read your post and all the buzz it created. Great job!

    I thought this post was wise. Great links to other articles too. At the end of the day, you have convinced me that students learn most by looking and around and observing what their peers (teacher included) are doing and feeling. I don't think we should ever downplay the role our own excitement and enthusiasm can play in helping children to become powerful learners and thinkers.

    I think another virtue of your post is its honestly about the conflicts that develop as we involve more stake-holders in curriculum deliberation. That is a good thing to keep thinking about as we move through the course--how to balance the pacing guides, the advise from sages, parents and kids themselves in your own curricular thinking.

    Great to have you (and Josh) in the course. Having a husband and wife team in one course is a new experience for me. Interesting to see if and how this impacts the learning!

    Kyle

    ReplyDelete