Thursday, April 21, 2011

Cycle Five : What Constitutes a Successful Curriculum?

Where do I begin describing a “successful curriculum”? As educators we all know that the curriculum that we teach is not limited to the grade level expectations and curriculum maps that spell out the objectives for us. In the seven plus hours that our students spend with us each day we hopefully spend time not only teaching them reading, math, science, and social studies but much more. We teach them how to interact and relate to their peers, we teach them how to problem solve, we expose them to things they have never encountered, and hopefully encourage them to continue searching for the things that interest them the most. So, where does that leave us with regard to answering this week’s guiding question, What constitutes a successful curriculum?

For me the Cycle Five reading offered snapshots into some of the possible ways to explore designing a successful curriculum. Geoffrey Canada, founder of the Harlem Children’s Zone is quite obviously trying to find ways to help disadvantaged students close the achievement gap between their more advantaged peers. The Harlem Children’s Zone has designed specific programs that aim at intervening early and providing ongoing support for students and their families. While the Meier article discussed Central Park East Secondary Schools and their approach to community building (I linked to a specific article here but, overall the entire Responsive Classroom website is really interesting.) within their schools to provide students with intervention and support. Neither model differs that drastically from the other in their desired outcome, helping students be successful in school and throughout their lives.

The Eisner article and Noddings article reminded me of things that we must keep in mind as we develop curriculum, design schools, and most importantly educate students. I thought Kyle’s description of Noddings as a “happy skeptic of all things standardized” could not have been put more accurately. Noddings proposes that happiness should be one of the aims of curriculum but is often neglected. I think that her assessment is fair and agree that we should not be designing curriculum that is “one-size fits all”. Students need to be able to express choice and interest in their courses of study. I think that while students need a broad understanding of many subjects, I am not sure that every student should have to take a specific math class because that it what comes next or because that’s what every post K-12 institution is looking for. Perhaps, as Noddings points out, we should be more focused on our students goals and interests, the things that will make them happy throughout their lives and not just assign those things we think are best for them.

One of the most important points that Elliot Eisner made for me as I consider successful curriculum is summed up in the following quote. What connections are students helped to make between what they study in class and the world outside of school? A major aim of education has to do with what psychologist refer to as "transfer of learning." Can students apply what they have learned or what they have learned how to learn? Can they engage in the kind of learning they will need in order to deal with problems and issues outside of the classroom? If what students are learning is simply used as a means to increase their scores on the next test, we may win the battle and lose the war. I think that Noddings and Eisner go hand in hand. If we engage our students in learning that is interesting and provide them with some amount of happiness they will be more likely to “transfer their learning”.

After reading all four articles, I am left questioning; does the Harlem Children’s Zone strive for and successfully integrate the “transfer of learning” that Eisner discusses? Does Central Park East Secondary Schools, KIPP, or a traditional public school? I am not questioning that all four of the aforementioned options have noble intentions, but I wonder if one of the structures has really successfully integrated “transfer of learning” as one of the centerpieces of a successful curriculum. Personally, I thought that a structure like the one at CPESS had the best design for implementing a successful curriculum that acknowledges the importance of student interests and goals. It seemed to me that they have very strategically created intimate communities within their schools to not only foster teacher-student relationships, but also student-student relationships and teacher-teacher relationships. I think a model like the one used a CPESS allows staff and students to get to know one another. As a teacher this knowledge would allow you to access your students interests and aspirations and use that as the basis for your curriculum.

As a former kindergarten teacher, I would agree that you really get to know your students because so much of kindergarten has to be individualized to meet the individual students’ needs. In getting to know your students, I think you naturally learn about their interests and goals. In discovering these interests and goals, I think that we not only find what makes students happy, but also what allows them to take their learning beyond the boundaries of the classroom. As educators we hope that our students will take what they have learned in our classrooms with them throughout their educations and lives. We need to start asking ourselves how we can achieve such an ambitious goal not only for our own classrooms, but also in a way that is replicable in classrooms everywhere. 

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Karla,
    I really enjoyed reading your post this week. I was especially drawn to the point made by Eisner about ensuring that our students have the ability to make connections between what they study in class and the world outside of school. When I look at my students, I am alarmed by the lack of “transfer” taking place even between classes! One of the perennial battles that I find myself engaged in is the use of complete sentences and proper grammar on work done in my history class. The argument I inevitably face every year is “Why does it matter?? This isn’t English class!” To which I respond, “You’re right, but what you learn in English class you need to apply to all aspects of your life!” They seem to think that when they leave English class, they can also leave behind all of the boring details and tedious processes that they have endured in the name of English, never seeming to realize that these lessons are applicable to every other school subject. Many of my students are so focused on “school” and “grades” that I do worry about whether or not they are developing the more important skills like learning how to learn.

    I also agree with you on the importance of getting to know your students. I begin each year by telling my high school students a little bit about me, my background, my interests, and why I became a teacher. In return, I ask them to fill out a short questionnaire on who they are and what their experiences and interests are. I then try to look at these questionnaires throughout the year to use as a starting point for conversations with my students. I believe that by showing the students that I am interested in who they are as people, and by creating a meaningful relationship with them that extends beyond their abilities as students that they will be more inspired to do well in my class and feel more comfortable taking risks that could result in personal growth. I sometimes wish that middle and high school could be more like kindergarten by individualizing student learning in order to meet their interests and needs—I think more meaningful learning would take place!

    I hope that in the (near) future there is more of an emphasis on encouraging students explore their interests and goals and how those can be developed beyond the classroom. I look at some of my students and I worry about their future because they don’t fit into the tidy “box” that our test-driven, data-based society wants to put all students in. They are intelligent, creative, passionate young people; however, they are not interested in “normal” school subjects. As a result, they not only feel like they are wasting their time, but they are unsure how to go about following their passions outside of school. I work in a building where 95% of student continue on to four-year universities, so for those other 5% there is very little support or advice on how to approach a life that doesn’t include a four-year college experience. Hopefully, as more and more schools begin looking at some of these issues, solutions will be found.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Karla,

    Thanks so much for your writing this cycle. Really great, really wonderful stuff. I enjoyed reading it so much!

    I really loaded on too many of my favorite readings this week. People have been talking a lot about Eisner, and some about Noddings. But really, at the end of the day, Deborah Meier and the school she created in Harlem is probably the most significant thing to happen to education in the past 50 years. I am glad you spent more time with her.

    (Thank god for kindergarten teachers--Deborah Meier and Vivian Paley!)

    "It seemed to me that they have very strategically created intimate communities within their schools to not only foster teacher-student relationships, but also student-student relationships and teacher-teacher relationships."

    Intimate. Our schools fear intimacy like the plague. Yet what person who has worked with young children has not enjoyed the natural way in which they express their love and feelings to adults? What high school teacher has not enjoyed sharing a secret--being that person that a young adult turns to with a problem?

    As teachers, we spend a lot of time with kids. We need adults in our lives too. It's really nice when the adults we work with are not only good friends, but good colleagues!

    Deborah Meier got it right, and so do you. Dewey sees the school as an embryonic community, one that simplifies complex social relationships, and allows students to learn from the "community" as well as the teacher (back to Eisner's idea of the implicit curriculum). If students see us working together, it makes it easier for us to ask them to work together.

    As my friend Jim Garrison says, "we are social all the way down." Take away our relationships and there is no "me" left. We need to do a much better job of attending to this relationships in school--they are the primary curriculum. CPESS was really good at it. I hope you in your own work can find some of it too.

    I look forward to your final letter!

    Kyle

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karla,

    You did a nice job summarizing the articles and I thoroughly enjoyed reading your post.
    The first link you shared took me to an article about a school where all classes participate in morning meetings. I find this an interesting concept, particularly since everyone in the school including cafeteria workers and custodians participates. Personally I have never had a morning meeting or seen one in action. Have you ever held a morning meeting? If so, can you share your experiences about them with me?

    I loved how you talked about making sure curriculum is not one size fits all. In my classroom I try hard to differentiate my lessons and assignments to best meet the needs of my students. I believe in previous postings on my blog I talked about how I differentiate assignments using names that start with H, M, or L to designate high, medium, and low-leveled work. What specifically do you do in your classroom to ensure that your curriculum is not one size fits all?

    I agree with you and Noddings. The way I look at it, if I can incorporate the interests of my students into the curriculum then they will be more passionate and interested in learning it. Students need to have an interest in what is being taught or they will not make the curriculum their own.

    In my classroom I always try to get to know my students on a personal level. This enables me to create lessons that not only peak my students’ interest, but teaches them the required curriculum. I find that the more I know about my students and where they come from (culture, living situation, etc.) the better I am able to take the curriculum and tailor it to meet their individual needs.

    Thank you for sharing your view on what constitutes a successful curriculum.

    ~ Katie

    ReplyDelete